Saturday, December 14, 2013

Fela - more than a musician!

Acordimg to  "Martin Beck Nworah" To me, Fela was more than just a musician. I have carefully studied more than 50 tracks in his different albums and I came to the conclusion that Fela, inspite of the short comings in his private life,reflected what a true leader should be. He talked to the teachers, advised the government, appealed to the masses and did everything he could with his music, just to make sure Nigeria is better.

Many of the things he complained about many years ago is still happening. And if he is alive today, I wonder what he would tell our government and teachers. You know why I love creative arts? It will bring out your true identity and give you the highest expression of your personality. I shake my head when I hear tracks of a few Nigerian musicians today; if only they listened to the lyrics of Fela's songs, they'd comprehend what it means to be a true musician.

Creativity and talent go hand in hand. That is why till tomorrow,people will always remember you for your originality and creativity. Fela stood for many things asides attacking the government to provide better means of livelihood for the citizens. We hate hearing the truth and facing the reality before us, that is why we prefer listening to their so-called "club bangers" with no meaning. And actually, the "touts" who composed those things will tell you it has no meaning. You can't pick a single word from it and it pains.

There are a few of them who say things you can understand even if they're talking about party,feel good,love and any thing else. Check out 2face,there has never been any of his songs that I didn't pick out the theme or understand his lyrics. Burna Boy is also making efforts to use words and not speak gibberish. Asa,Faze,Bez,Brymo,Omawunmi,Praiz,D'banj (before he broke up. Only "Top of the world" made sense after),Waje. There are many others that I will mention when I recharge my memory;they're doing their best to talk music and sense. For the others who talk about women's breast,waist,hips,thighs;continue,very soon you'll be sent to the primary schools to teach them parts of the body. Till we get to the Promised Land,I shall be waiting for when you'll pass me a glass of water and thank God for the gift of grace for the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment